Kanin Club: Sign me Up



Yesterday, on our usual Saturday family outing, we decided to go Kanin Club at the Ayala Technohub, Commonwealth. I wanted to try something different, and this was suggested by a good friend of mine. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, so it was time to check it out.


The menu suggests to you what people usually order, which was really helpful. The restaurant was jampacked, so the waiter asked us to order while we wait outside under a beautiful sky of dark rain clouds.

It was a comfy looking place, very modern-Filipino-ish, with a view of a pond of Koi fish swimming around. They could have improved on the acoustics a little bit, since it got really noisy when all the people started talking. 


My wife prepping up to chow down with gluttonous vigor. Oh yeah, we were ready to eat.


Since Kanin Club was popular for its rice meals, we ordered both the Aligue Rice and the Loaded Fried Rice. It was good for 2-3 persons per order, so we would just take home the left over, and give it to some homeless guy out there. We just had to taste both.

 The Aligue Rice (or Crab fat rice) tasted more like ordinary fried rice, with a small blob of aligue sitting on top of it. Didn't really taste it that much, but was satisfying enough. The menu read "...worth the extra hour of exercise at the gym". Nope it wasn't.


This particular rice meal, the Loaded Fried Rice, was much better. Tasty and action packed with a lot of ingredients including pork, beans, chinese sausage - soaked in some sort of adobo-like concoction. Reminds me of a filipino style yang chow. Order this one instead of the Aligue rice. 









Oh, this one I really liked. Tapa ni Ana (No, I didn't ask who Ana was), a house specialty, was delicious. A very filipino dish accompanied by vinegar -based dipping sauce. The only complaint was the processed meat was too soaked in oil, but nevertheless yummy. This would be part of my next visit to Kanin Club.



Being a tofu-lover, I just had to order Tokwa't Baboy. Not spectacular, but what would you expect with fried beancurd and fatty pork on soy sauce-vinegar mixture. I enjoyed it though, just like I would in any other restaurant.


My wife and I really enjoyed the Pinakbet. Perfect bagoong quantity and quality added the right saltiness to the dish. Vegetables were a little overcooked, but still delicious with the rice. Some sort of flattened and dried liempo garnished the dish



To sum it up, the overall Kanin Club experience was a good one. I would come back again, this time bringing friends (because we could order more options to sample). All in all, be prepared to shell out 300 to 400 pesos per person, depending on what you order. Not bad at all. Kanin Club, where do I get the membership form?











Comments

Popular Posts